OUR MISSION CONNECTIONS
Generally, Deacons concentrate on local church and community support and giving, while our Mission Team supports locally and beyond. Deacons are more focused on individuals and families locally, while the local Mission Team focus would be on institutions, like Presbyterian SeniorCare, and giving regionally, nationally and globally. Our Mission Team consists of the Mission Committee (three members of the OPC Session) and any interested OPC members.
Our Mission Team giving and involvement includes:
- Supporting the work of Dick Tafur in Peru in his ministry to community children and youth.
- Caribbean Youth Network
- Crestfield Camp and Conference Center – The Presbytery camp in Slippery Rock, PA
- East End Cooperative Ministries
- Garfield Community Farm
- Living in Liberty
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance – The denomination’s response for world wide disasters
- Pittsburgh Presbytery General Mission
- Presbyterian Senior Care (Oakmont)
- Somali Bantu Support via Reach Across
- The Blessing Board (Pittsburgh and West Mifflin, PA)
- Verona Methodist Summer Fun Camp
- New Country New Life (NCNL) Refugee Support; and
- New & Emerging Opportunities
The ‘Mission Team’ is seeking to expand our mission awareness and involvement. Why not join them? Contact the church office to volunteer.
Currently 7.32% of contributions is committed to the work of the Mission Team and are added to other gifts given by members and friends.
Deacons (Session is providing direct funding after 2022)
- Community Care – use to respond to the needs of OPC members and friends.
- The Holy Ground Ministry Team provides spiritual care for church members (and their families) with chronic or terminal medical conditions.
- The Light Bearers respond to emerging needs within our congregation and the Oakmont and Verona communities.